On 18 February 1953 Dawie du Plessis-House opened as the first Men’s Hostel on West Campus. Initially the hostel, named after a donor who sponsored £2 000, housed 75 students. In 1958 the hostel was expanded to provide housing for a further 75 students. The original part of the hostel became known as Makouvlei. The newly added accommodation was named Liberalia. In 1994 these hostel’s joined together to form Excelsior, the House of Knights.
- Balanced students
- Academic prestige
- Striving towards the highest on all terrains
- To form value-driven Christen men with ambition and consideration of our diversity of religions
As part of Excelsior Men’s Hostel we put the regulations of the North West University’s Potchefstroom Campus above all else.
These regulations encompass the norms and values of the University, as well as an expectations the University has regarding Excelsior’s Men’s Hostel.
Common decency towards our fellow students and respect for different opinions, backgrounds and races are what we are known for.
As part of Excelsior we live out the name and values of our hostel. Viribus Excelsior – Strive for the Highest.