Oryx is not just a name of a day residence for men. It is a lifestyle, brotherhood and tradition. As the house committee of Oryx we need to lead the first years and the rest of Oryx into living the brotherhood. It is an off- campus residence of the Vanderbijlpark Campus of the North-West University (NWU Vaal).
The Oryx Men's Day Residence offers students all the same experiences and opportunities that you'll find at a physical residence but you live in the comfort of your own home. The Oryx logo is a gemsbuck. The characteristics of a gemsbuck are the same characteristics that we strive towards and apply, like brotherhood, respect, loyalty, trust, honesty, caring and power. At Oryx you will have friends away from friends, a family away from family and a truly supporting and caring structure behind you.
Vision and Mission:
The men of Oryx strive to be a unique union, achieving both group and individual goals.
We strive to provide the platform for personal growth, to help each individual be ready for the "world out there" when they complete their studies.
Our mission applies to every student in Oryx in order to maintain a balance, an exciting yet responsible student life including academic, sport and social activities.
Support offered to students:
- academic support
- participation in all sports like soccer, hockey, basketball and body building
- cultural activities - dancing, great debate and choir
- active student life (social activities) - senior braai, barefoot day and outreaches to the local community
- Oupa Koos is Oryx’s Mascot;
- Due to us being “gemsbokke” we eat grass;
- This grass gives us our strength, guidance, motivation and stamina to ensure we are always two steps ahead of our competition – meaning the other campus residences;
- He is a symbol of our unity as a multi-cultured campus residence;
- Oupa Koos is Oryx “Pride and Honour”.
Where are we?
Need to find us? Directions