Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) | Studies | NWU | North-West University


FAQ's for students about COVID-19

I would like to enquire about the opening of applications to study at NWU for this year.  What are the requirements to study?

Thanks for your enquiry. Our applications open on 1 April 2021 for intake. Go to our website at to view our different courses and the admission requirements.

What is my application status?

Please contact the admission office at  or

  • (018) 389 2025/2252/2525/2825 for the Mahikeng Campus
  • (018) 285-4320/4003/4403/2625 for the Potchefstroom Campus
  • (016) 910 3119/3154/3168/3114/3023 for the Vanderbijlpark Campus

Can I please get my student number and pin?

You can send your date of birth and surname to  so that we can search for it on our system.

Can I please get a quotation for studies?

You can contact our finance offices to obtain a quotation using the following email addresses:

Or please visit

When do applications open?

You can start applying, online from the 1 April 2021. Go to our website at for the online application process.

What is the application fee?

There is no application fee payable when you apply. For international students a fee of R550 is applicable.

When and where can I apply for bursaries?

You can go to our website at for information on bursaries, or send your enquiry to the following email address:

Mahikeng Campus for prospective and current students for postgraduate students

Potchefstroom Campus for prospective and current students for postgraduate students

Vanderbijlpark Campus for prospective and current students for postgraduate students


It is important to contact Corene Middleton directly regarding Sport bursaries at

Do I have NSFAS, can you check my NSFAS status, please?

NSFAS functions on their own, the University only receives a list of successful applicants and then opens their accounts to register. Please visit the official NSFAS website at

How and where do I apply for NSFAS?

You can apply online by visiting the following link: If you don’t have access to online resources, you are more than welcome to visit any tertiary institution that will assist you with applying for NSFAS online. Please make sure you have a valid email address, cell phone number and the required supporting documents ready.

I haven’t heard anything from Funza Lushaka.

Funza Lushaka functions on their own, the University only receives confirmation of successful applicants at the end of March. Please visit the official Funza Lushaka website at to inquire about your application.

When are your Open Days for NWU?

All Open Days (9 May – Potchefstroom; 16 May – Vanderbijlpark; and 23 May – Mahikeng) have been cancelled. This is to ensure that our stakeholders stay safe and healthy and to help contain the coronavirus (Covid-19) as far as possible.

We encourage prospective students to apply at and have a look at our course offerings at

When is your closing date for applications?

The closing date for non-selection courses is 30 September.

The closing date for selection courses is 30 June.

Just make sure to apply before 30 June if you want to apply for the residences as well.

Can I still change my course after applying?

You can change your course if there is space in the Faculty you would like to change to, and if you meet the admission requirements.  You can send your request to the admission office at

How do I apply for the residences?

You can apply for the residences when you apply for the NWU by completing the online application. The options for the different residences are on the online application.

Where can I find out about my residence status?

Please contact the following offices to find out about your residence status:

Can I get information on how to do a psychometric test in order to make subject choices?

You can contact our Student Counselling office at (018) 299-2893/4 for an appointment on the Potchefstroom Campus.

For the Vanderbijlpark Campus, you can contact the campus at (016) 910 3195.

For the Mahikeng Campus, you can contact the campus at (018) 389 2111.

You can also go to our website at for assistance.

Can I still qualify to study at your university, if I studied at another institution?

When you apply, you still need to add your matric certificate, with the academic record from your current institution. The Faculty will decide about admission and credits.  

I am having technical difficulties during the online application process – who can I contact?

Please use the following numbers or email address for assistance:

How long does it take to get feedback after applying?

We aim for a 4 to 5 day response rate. But this is dependent on the submission of all relevant documentation and the time frame in which you apply.

My ID number already exists on system when I want to apply online – who can I contact?

Contact the following numbers or make use of the email address for assistance:

For which courses do I qualify?

Please visit the following website as well as our Faculty pages regarding our courses and admission requirements.

I am disabled or am in need of additional support. Who can I contact or where can I register for it?

During the online application process there is a section during the process where this information can be captured. You are also welcome to contact Thuso at 018 299 1777.

Do I have to write the NBT's? How does selection work at the NWU?

No the NWU do not make use of NBT tests. Click on this link for our selection procedure:

I am experiencing problems with my online application

I was unsuccessful in my application due to academic motivations. What does this mean?

You do not adhere to one or all of the following requirements:

  • Do not qualify for Bacclaureus (University admission)
  • Correct APS
  • Specific subject requirement for the degree

Capacity limitations 

Please note that, owing to specific capacity constraints, the University reserves the right to select candidates for admission to certain fields of study. This means that prospective students who comply with the minimum requirements will not automatically be admitted to the courses in question. Because of the capacity limitations and the high demand from students for admission to particular fields of study, students will be selected on the basis of their Grade 12 results for admission to these fields.

What is a town residence and how does it work?

Do you wonder what the difference is between a town residence and a campus residence? Well, students who do not live in a residence on campus, but in rooms, apartments, outside rooms or in their parents' homes, participate in organized student life by joining one of the "town residences". Town residences function just like ordinary residences and are organized in the same way as residences on campus.

Can I apply with a Birth Certificate?

No, it must be an ID.

What is the difference between BA and LLB?

An LLB is a law specific degree and one needs an LLB to register as an Advocate or Attorney. The duration of the LLB degree is 4 years. The duration of the BA Law is 3 years and consists of law subjects and one of the following as main subjects: English, Industrial Psychology, Philosophy, Political Studies and Psychology. After completion of the BA degree, a student can add two years of full time study and obtain an LLB degree.